Saturday, February 8, 2014

Mold time!

I received my silicon yesterday and after letting it warm up for a day inside I am making the mold for the explosion markers. Based on what the company said, this material they provided to me (aka sample) withstands resin extremely well. Once the mold has time to cure, I'll need to remove the modelling clay I used so I can pour the second part of the mold. 

I decided to make a 2 part mold due to the complexity of the markers, so it'll make demolding the resin that much easier. Unfortunately, this is the first time I've done a 2 part mold - in the past I've done tons of single stage molds, but this is a whole different animal. 

So here is what I have so far today:

Is there nothing LEGO can't do?
So how did I make the mold? I took modelling clay and surrounded the markers (2 in this case) halfway around them. Once I had that done, I filled the rest of the mold cavity with clay so that it provides a flat surface for the second piece of the mold. I then pour the silicon and let it set. Once that is set, I'll flip the form and remove all of the clay. Once the clay has been removed, I'll use mold release and spray the living crap out of the piece of poured today. After that I'll pour a second batch of silicon and wait for that to cure. After that I should have a 2 part mold and the only thing I'll have to do is clean up the mold fill points so I can pour the resin.

More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment