Thursday, March 5, 2015

Shattered Battlefields - Review

Now that hockey is winding down for my two boys, I'm finally able to have more time for my hobbies. I'm finally able to pull a few of the gifts I received for Christmas and my birthday out and I'm going to write a few reviews of them.

The gaming group I belong to decided to give the Great War a spin, and since I bought Biltz's Battlegroup, I needed some scenery to go with it. So one of my gifts was the Battlefield in a Box set Shattered Battlefields.




Inside the box you'll find the following:


Four (4) Muddy Grounds (Lower left corner of the package). Each piece was separated by a piece of bubble wrap as to not damage the pieces, but the topmost piece lacked the final piece to protect it from bouncing around in the package itself. that isn't a major flaw per se, but it would have been nice for that extra piece of bubble wrap to have been there. The pieces are quite nice, with the muddy ponds nice and glossy, giving it a standing water look (as shown below).



Four (4) Shattered Woods (center of the image wrapped in bubble wrap). These pieces are an interesting lot, as I'm use to always seeing woods fully intact, but since the battlefields of the Great War were mostly desolate areas of terrain these help make a flat dull board more interesting.


The tallest part of each woods piece is 3/4 of an inch (I dug out my old drafting scale as you can see in the picture below).



Also included is one (1) large terrain base and one (1) small terrain base. the large base is at the bottom of the package with a piece of wax-like coated paper on top of it where the small base sits in the package. This prevents any damage to the bases, and if you really wanted to, you could use it for a snow covered base (since it has the same shape as the large base).


Large Base





Small Base



Included in the package are 2 sets of flocking material (1x Packet of Green Static Grass. and  1x Packet of Meadow Blend Static Grass.). While I don't plan on using the grass on these sets, they'll go into my basing box for use on other projects.

Are these products worth the money that Battlefields is asking for them? I think they are, as they are quite unique and as I stated earlier they help break up the barren landscape of the game table. I would recommend this set to anyone who wants to add diversity to their gaming board.

No comments:

Post a Comment