Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Sd Kfz 251/20D Uhu Review

One of the birthday gifts that my wife and kids bought me arrived in the mail yesterday from The War Store - the German Sd Kfz 251/20D Uhu.


Inside of the box are 2 each of the half track components (the image below is taken from the Battlefield site, and the sprues inside the box are NOT connected like they are shown below)...


2 Fighting compartment pieces (The the searchlight will attach to)



2 Crew sprues


2 IR spotlights with crew members (Crew needs to be attached to the spotlight)

I can see you Allies!
2 pairs of work walkways


2 IR sights for the half track itself


And 2 red IR Searchlight Tokens

Oooo - tokens!

Assembly of the lower hull was easy, but attaching the upper hull to the lower superstructure was really fiddly. There are gaps in a few places which will require some green-stuff to hide (shown below) if you are not careful in fitting the 2 hull pieces together correctly. This only happened to the first Uhu I assembled thankfully, but for the life of me I can't figure out what caused the gaping since I assembled them in the exact same way.

You can see the gap between the upper and lower hull above
I plan on priming and painting these up this weekend since there is a "Late Late War" themed tournament (Nachtjäger, BaR, Desperate Measures) coming up on the 21st that I want to attend. Along with the Panzersturm Platoon (GE848) that I have waiting to be painted up, I'm going to try using the IR rules to see if I can crush my opponents. I'll keep you all up to date as i finish these models.

As for the box set, I recommend this set for any German player that plans on using IR gear in their forces. While fiddly at times to assemble, I think the overall end result is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment